Now available: Virtual repair assistance
Get help with your broken stuff and learn valuable repair skills at free Fix-It Clinics.
Fix-It Clinics offer free, guided assistance from volunteers with repair skills to disassemble, troubleshoot, and (hopefully) fix small household appliances, clothing, electronics, mobile devices and more. Fix-It Clinics teach valuable troubleshooting and basic repair skills, build community connections and reduce the number of repairable items that are thrown in the trash.
Santa Fe County’s Fix-It Clinic is Sat, Feb 20th from 10-11:30. Register HERE!
How it works
- If you are interested in being a coach, to help people repair household items, please complete our form HERE
- If you have an item that needs to be repaired, please Register HERE!
- We will review your form and respond within four business days to provide general advice and discuss the next steps
What you need
You will need a laptop, tablet or phone, and an Internet connection that allows for video conferencing. It’s helpful to have a second person in your household helping you aim the camera and help with disassembly and repairs.
Some common tools you may need (but are not totally necessary!) include:
- Phillips and standard screwdrivers
- Needle nose and regular pliers
- Soldering iron and solder
- Basic voltmeter and wires to measure AC and DC voltage and resistance (if your item is electrical and not working)
- Don’t worry if you don’t have all of these items, coaches can help you do an assessment of what’s necessary the first time around.